Getting fit should be an aim for everyone, not just the sports man amongst us. Unfortunately most people find it difficult to get fit and often don’t really know where to start. Below are 7 tips to get fit fast and safely.
1. Know your limits. Before embarking on any exercise or diet you should know your limits. This may involve a trip to the doctors for a check-up and advice and in fact you should check with your doctor before embarking on any exercise or diet program.
2. Warm up slooooowly. This is a very important step that most people don’t take seriously. You need to warm up slowly in order to avoid injury. Not only that, you will find the main exercise easier if you have warmed up first.
3. Keep a diary of your diet. You probably don’t actually realize how much you eat. Keep a diet diary and check how many calories you are taking in. It doesn’t need to be an in-depth description, just an overview of the amount of calories you are eating.
4. Keep a diary of your exercise. Yes I realize this is the same as the previous point but the key to losing weight is to burn off more calories than you are taking in, its that simple!
5. Be patient. You won’t get fit in 24hrs. If that is your plan then you are in for a big disappointment. Losing weight takes time and fitness should be a long term plan that lasts a lifetime.
6. Build up gradually. Even pro athletes build up their stamina gradually. You wont be running marathons within a week. Build up your exercise gradually and just make sure you are making progress. Even an extra 20 meters is progress when jogging.
7. Variety is the spice of life. Vary your exercise and diet so you don’t get bored. Routine is boring and if exercise is boring you won’t stick to it. Vary between jogging, cycling and swimming.
Losing weight and getting fit is a lifelong plan and will probably involve a complete lifetime change. Getting fit is simple, you need to burn off more than you eat.